BRING THE THUNDER art by Wilson Tortosa




Cover by Alex Ross

Newsarama interviewed Alex Ross about this new comic book. Here are Ross' comments about Wilson Tortosa's amazing art:


Nrama: How about Wilson Tortosa? I know he's doing interior art, and I wanted to ask about the back-and-forth you've had with him, just as the creator of the concept as well as the character designer.

Ross: I have a great history with Wilson because of the wonderful work he did on Battle of the Planets with Top Cow that we did a number of years ago. He was the artist out of all that we were looking through and inquiring about who could actually match the look and style of the old shows and because of the wonderful way he can capture a quality of classic manga it was something I knew would feel very appropriate to this work even though it would seem to be a very American character concept, it’s certainly dealing with American issues but it’s also dealing with Middle Eastern issues so where does the manga style apply? To me it just felt instinctively right. I knew he would bring something very strong to it and I was very well rewarded by the energy and power of Wilson’s work he is just phenomenal I would absolutely love to work on more comics with him continuing from this. He’s taken all the design work as well as photographs of my live model and worked from those and brought his own interpretation to these things but with a project that calls upon as much real world research of places in the world that he’s never been I know as I believe he’s in the Philippines he’s definitely going out of his way for everything that called of him so it’s very impressive thing to be able to witness his work.

Nrama: Finally, for those who still aren't sold on Bring the Thunder, what would you say to get them on board? Are there any moments you can tease that you're excited to see?

Ross: Watching Wilson interpret the energy of the scripts is a very involved and inspiring thing because I feel that there is a quality to manga in what Wilson captures that is often missed in contemporary American comic books and we’re getting caught up so much in a density of storytelling that we’re kind of losing the visceral experience of getting sucked in and I feel that energy that I speak of is something akin to a Kirby energy it really does allow you to feel integrated and moved through the action of a story, it’s infectious and that’s a broad evaluation of all the work that he does but particularly when it does come to the action sequences so that would be my tease and my reason for saying “ I want to do more with this guy because I’m fascinated as a reader and as an artist.”

READ THE COMPLETE INTERVIEW AT:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/alex-ross-bring-the-thunder-101020.html

Comments